Benefits of an IAHPERD Membership
The Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, was founded in 1931 by a group of professionals dedicated to improving the effectiveness of health, physical education, recreation, dance and the promotion of human welfare.
Here's how IAHPERD serves you!
- IAHPERD lobbies for effective laws for health and physical education and pushes for high standards and quality instruction.
- IAHPERD provides excellent opportunities for professional and educational growth through a yearly state convention, numerous workshops, demonstrations, and clinics. Opportunities are afforded those who want to serve the profession as an officer, committee chairperson, or member at the district and state levels.
- IAHPERD promotes quality curricula and disseminates a broad range of information through its publications.
IAHPERD Serves the Profession
- Represents you in Springfield at the capital. Your only representative to influence legislative action.
- IAHPERD is the only "voice of the profession" recognized and heard in the Legislature and by school administrators.
- IAHPERD maintains a network of professional liaisons with related organizations such as the Govenor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, American Heart Association, ACE, IASCD, JADA, ICAPE, IDA, IESA, IHSA, IATA, and AAHPERD.
- IAHPERD has purchased exhibit booth space at the Illinois Association of School Boards Convention, Illinios PTA Convention and Illinois Principals Convention.
The booths are staffed with physical education professionals who are very knowledgeable in promoting and explaining the physical education cirriculum.
Each member receives 2 JOURNALS and 3 issues of "On The Move" newsletters.
Annual convention offers programs such as lifetime sports, coaching, intramurals, health-related subjects, physical activities, movement education, dance, perceptual-motor learning, recreation, research, and older adult activities. Current topics of interest are also included. Over 50 exhibits of the latest equipment, printed materials, and audio-visual aids are a highlight of each convention.
Scholarship & Recognition
Students may earn scholarships and recognition for their academic accomplishments.
A voluntary program to recognize excellent physical education.
Professional members are eligible for various annual awards.
- Elementary Physical Educator
- Middle School Physical Educator
- Secondary Physical Educator
- Health Educator
- Dance Educator
- Service Award
- Honor Award
- Quarter Century Award
- Each member will receive several issues of Governmental Action News, a timely legislative and public relations newsletter. Periodically, emergency mailings regarding legislative action may be received by members.
- Information on current legislative concerns, both at the state and the national levels, are carried on the IAHPERD website, www.iahperd.org, and are regularly updated.
- IAHPERD works for the benefit of the profession in all legislative matters and has set up channels of communication to keep members informed and up-to-date.
- IAHPERD retains the services of a lobbyist in Springfield to work as our liaison with the Illinois Legislature.
- A standing governmental affairs committee is set up to serve you, the member, and to achieve grass roots support for legislative action taken by the Association.