IAHPERD Student Scholarships
The following are IAHPERD scholarships that are available for Physical Education, Health Education and Recreation students who qualify. IAHPERD will award five scholarships of $1,500.00 each , and one scholarship of $2,000.00 to the student who qualifies as the most outstanding applicant.
The scholarships are awarded to junior or senior level undergraduate students who are enrolled as a major in professional programs of health, physical education, dance or recreation. The scholarship will be awarded at the state convention in November at Pheasant Run Resort, St. Charles, Illinois.
The application form provides specific directions about applying for the scholarship. The Scholarship and Recognition Committee of IAHPERD will make every effort to evaluate all applications fairly and objectively. Materials for the four scholarships must be postmarked by May 31st
In order to be eligible for an IAHPERD scholarship, one must:
- Be a full-time undergraduate student, majoring in the area of health,
physical education, recreation, and/or dance. This includes a major
referred to by other titles, such as Kinesiology, Human Performance,
Sports Administration, Athletic Training, etc.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student during the fall semester in which
the scholarship is awarded.
- Be a student member of IAHPERD since December 1 of the year
previous to the year the scholarship is awarded.
- Attend a college or university within the State of Illinois
In order to be eligible for an IAHPERD scholarship, one may:
- Have their home residence outside the State of Illinois.
- Have previously earned a bachelor’s degree in a different major,
and is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in an undergraduate
program as stated above.
- Have been a previous IAHPERD recipient, with a maximum of
receiving a scholarship two times.
- Be a recipient of the top scholarship award only one time.
Scholarship Application Form
Please include the following items in your packet for the IAHPERD scholarship.
- Five copies of a one page, double spaced cover letter of introduction which includes your IAHPERD membership number – the membership number may be acquired from the IAHPERD Executive Director at 217-245-6413 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Five copies of a resume that includes the following (3-page maximum)
- Involvement in service projects, extracurricular activities, university or departmental committees, campus organizations, community involvement, and participation in inclusion and diversity activities.
- Involvement in academic activities, certifications, honors, professional presentations, recognitions, other profession organizations, and other achievements.
- Department chairperson’s name and contact information.
- Chosen major and minor (if any).
- Reasons for selecting your major.
- Aspirations for the future.
- Include your summer and fall address, phone number(s), and e-mail address.
- One copy of an official College/University transcript.
- Two letters of recommendations in individually sealed envelopes.
Your completed scholarship application packet must be mailed prior to May 31st and sent to:
Dr. Don Scherrer
Trinity International University
2065 Half Day Road
Deerfield Il 60015